Prevalence of Dementia
- Higher than expected prevalence: report on a recent University of the Free State study funded by our research fund. See http://www.ufs.ac.za/templates/archive.aspx?news=1871&cat=1. If you have a problem activating the link, go to www.ufs.ac.za , scroll down to News, then Campus News. Click on News Archive and then ‘Higher than expected etc.’
- Alzheimer’s Disease International World Reports provide the most comprehensive picture of the impact of Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. The 2010 report discusses the economic impact of the disease, broken down by world region. The 2011 report discusses interventions and the fact that some may be more effective when started earlier. There is a strong economic argument in favour of earlier diagnosis and timely intervention. You can see the reports at http://www.alz.co.uk/worldreport.
- As of 2013, there were an estimated 44.4 million people with dementia worldwide.This number will increase to an estimated 75.6 million in 2030, and 135.5 million in 2050. Already 62% of people with dementia live in developing countries, but by 2050 this will rise to 71%.
- According to South Africa’s 2011 census, there are approximately 2.2 million people in South Africa with some form of dementia.
- A guide to living with dementia – A guide to living with dementia is for anyone who has been diagnosed with dementia, as well as their friends, family or other people who care for loved ones who have dementia.
- The Complete Guide to Insomnia – and How You Can Manage It
This guide contains plenty of information such as:
- An in-depth look at insomnia: what causes it, the different kinds of insomnia, and its effects on health and wellbeing.
- Advice for managing insomnia effectively with stress management and relaxation techniques, proper diet and exercise, good sleeping environment, CBT, and mindfulness meditation.
- How certain medications and treatments can affect sleep, the importance of routine for good sleep hygiene, and why you should keep a sleep journal.
- Links to other useful resources and websites to better understand and develop good sleeping habits.