Services & Activities
Eastern Cape 081-350-8079
De Mist, East London, Grahamstown, Kwanobuhle, Port Elizabeth (Gelvan Park, Sunridge Park and Walmer), Treehaven (this is a support group just for people with dementia), Uitenhage
Free State 071 381 8953
Bloemfontein, Hoopstad, Parys, Bethlehem
Gauteng 011 346 2757
We have support groups and/or services in multiple areas. For more information, please phone the relevant regional office. Please contact us if you are interested in running a support group.
KwaZulu-Natal 031702 4321
Amanzimtoti, Durban (Berea), Durban North, Hillcrest, Howick, KwaNgcolosi, Lower Molweni, Musgrave, Newcastle, Pietermaritzburg, Pinetown, Port Shepstone, Scottburgh, Umbilo, Upper Molweni, Vryheid
Limpopo 011 792 2511
Bela-Bela, Modimolle, Mooketsi, Polokwane, Tzaneen
Mpumalanga 013-007 0089 or 083 265 1187
Botleng, Daantjie, Emalahleni, Kamhlushwa, Nelspruit, Nkomazi, Schoemansdal, Secunda, White River
Northern Cape 087 150 5058
Calvinia distrik, De Aar, Kimberley, Springbok, Upington, Williston
North West 011-792 2511
Klerksdorp, Potchefstroom, Rustenburg, Schweizer-Reneke
Southern Cape 044-533 0132
Albertinia, George, Knysna, Mossel Bay, Oudtshoorn, Plettenberg Bay, Sedgefield, Stilbaai
Western Cape 021-979 2724
Cape Town City Bowl, Durbanville, Fish Hoek, Grassy Park, Hermanus, Langebaan, Langeberg District, McGregor, Milnerton, Montagu, Moorreesburg, Panorama Hospital, Plumstead, Robertson, Somerset West, Strand, Table View, Worcester. View our Western Cape Support Groups Here.
Home Carers and Nursing Agencies
Leaflets for Sale
- A caregiver’s guide to dementia. Published by Alzheimer’s SA NPC, this booklet covers all the basics: diagnosis, types of dementia and understanding and managing the dementia.
- A basic guide for nurses and caregivers. This book has a wealth of practical advice on physically caring for and nursing someone with Alzheimer’s/dementia
- Demensie – riglyne vir gesinne en ander versorgers. Eenvoudig geskryf en maklik om te verstaan, hierdie boek is van onskatbare waarde, vol inligting en praktiese advies oor die daaglikse uitdaging wat Alzheimer’s/demensie meebring.
- Manual: Practical help – increasing your knowledge about managing Alzheimer’s/dementia. This is full of practical advice on how to cope with progressive, deteriorative elements of Alzheimer’s/dementia. It comprises the following: Frequently asked questions about Alzheimer’s disease, Talking to the person with dementia, Keeping the home safe, Wandering, Dressing, Eating, Supporting the person with dementia who is living alone, Activities (keeping the person busy), Washing and bathing, Incontinence, Pressure sores, Moving and lifting, Problem behaviour, Aggressive behaviour, Sexual difficulties, Using medicines, What if I have dementia?, Telling the children, Loss and bereavement, Dealing with guilt, Choosing a long-term care facility. Ook in Afrikaans beskikbaar.
- Understanding Alzheimer’s (“The new science of Alzheimer’s”): Time magazine article
- Legal implications of increasing adult incapability, by Prof J C Bekker
- An excellent, in-depth report by the New York Times can be downloaded from http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/alzheimers-disease/in-depth-report.html.
We keep lists of care homes in some areas, but please note that the first place to look is right here on our website, where we list our affiliate members. See the link to that list on our home page.